Dr Peter Ekwezoh mni
Parastatals supervised by the Department
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL & SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY
To realize our vision, mission and goal the Department has been structured into two (2) divisions:
- Environmental Technology & Sustainability Sciences;
- Earth and Space Sciences which is made up of:
- four (4) Branches – (Environmental Technology, Pollution Control, Climate Change and Space Sciences R&D)
- weight (8) Sections
- sixteen (16) Units.
- Establishment of Pilot models and deployment of appropriate technological Infrastructure for integrated W2W system at the waste facility sites in the six (6) geopolitical zones.
- Utilization of Appropriate Technologies for Integrated Waste to Wealth management in System in Nigeria.
- Technology Needs Assessment (TNA) FOR Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation in Nigeria.
- Mainstreaming gender issues in environmental sustainability and climate change in Nigeria through the Pilot production of highly efficient Cook stoves and Technology transfer and sustainable fuel production in six (6) Geopolitical Zones.
- Establishment of Assumpta Science Centre in Six Geopolitical Zones in Nigeria for Hands-on and minds-on skills acquisition and informal learning.
- Establishment of Technology Transfer model of Pilot Commercial Scale Bio-Refinery Plant at Waste Dumps in Six Geopolitical Zones of Nigeria (2 State per Zone) through PPP Strategy (Bank Guarantee of €15m required for Investors Fund of €200m).
- Establishment of Pilot model for Technology Transfer and promotion of Biogas Production Technology in 774 LGAs of Nigeria starting with two (2) LGAs per zone.
- Establishment of Pilot Model In-Situ Waste-to-Power Technology at Waste dumps in Six Geopolitical zones of Nigeria for Climate Change.
- Establishment of Efficient Pilot Rain Water harvesting Technologies for adaptation to impact Climate Change in Water Scarce Communities in Six Geo-political zones of Nigeria.
- Deployment of Waste Audit Technologies for Comprehensive Waste Audit in Nigeria.
- Establishment of Pilot Plant for technological Production of Briquettes in the Six (6) Geo-political zones of Nigeria plus the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
- International Astronomical Congress Activities and the 68th International Astronomical Congress (IAC).
- Annual Sustainability Science Dialogue in Six Geopolitical Zones in Nigeria and FCT to Institutionalize Role of Science, Technology and Innovation Tools in Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and improve Science and Technology Culture in Nigeria.
- Annual International Waste-to-Wealth Conference for Green Technologies Investors to Promote Green Technologies Investment Climate in Nigeria through PPP Strategy.
- Negotiation of Technology Development and Transfer for Nigeria Under the United Nations framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and Participation As Lead Agency at 22nd Conference of Parties (COP 22) in Marrakesh.
- Promotion and Coordination of Space Science and Technology Collaborative Projects under UN Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS).
- Programmes and Activities of FMST Climate Change Desk: Establishment of Technology Transfer Pilot Models and Promotion of Environmentally Sound Technologies (ESTs) in Vulnerable Sectors of the Economy (i.e. Agriculture, Food Security, Water Resources, Energy, Transport, etc.) in Six Geopolitical Zones.